Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Moss Skirt and McCalls 6963

I'm a bit late to the Grainline Moss party, I think I was put off by the mini bit. I'm glad I finally made it, I am impressed by this pattern. The pattern went together perfectly and the pockets are excellent. I did have to rip out the zip twice, but now I have done it I think it will be easy the next time I do it. It is quite a short pattern, I'm not tall at all and I added a few inches so it just hits my knee. 
I used some denim with no stretch from my stash and lined the pockets and waistband facing with Liberty. I cut out my size according to the size chart, but ended up taking it in one size after I sewed the side seams.
 I have a few bits of canvas/drill from Spotlight in my stash so expect to see a few more of these.
 This black top was a quick sew when I had an hour a few weekends ago. It is McCalls 6963. I used some very drapey fabric from the stash, probably a bit too drapey and clingy. After 4 children it's better to use fabric that skims over my stomach rather than clings to it! And this fabric does have a tendency to not sit right at the neckline, it flicks out (which is has done a bit on these photos) and I have to keep tucking it in. If I made another I might also add some clear elastic to the back neckline. Other than fabric choice this is a great pattern, it doesn't take long and the instructions made sense. I'd like to make one with sleeves for winter.


4 comments:

ipatchandquilt said...

That skirt is awesome!
The top doesn't look bad, but I hear you about clingy fabrics. Why do they even make them?
Esther

Marina said...

Well done! Love the skirt. Is that your "I'm not sure about this top" look in the last photo? :) I actually love the style of the top -it looks like just the right amount of cowl neck (some patterns have way too much fabric at the front).

whale said...

I know you're not too sure about the top, but I just wanted to tell you, I think you look gorgeous in this outfit. The drape and cling are unnoticeable because it flatters you. Hope that wasn't too personal... Just had to tell you!

Abby and Stephanie said...

So flattering from both sides. :o) Looks awesome on you.