Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Simplicity 2591

I seem to have discovered Simplicity 2591 way after everyone else had and now it is out of print and very hard to find. Thanks to the lovely Jen for lending me a copy so I could try it out. I'm so glad I have tried it, it is my new favourite dress pattern.
I made a few adjustments to the pattern. I lengthened the bodice a little, scooped out the neckline and took the back in a little at the top as it gaped. This is a lot of ease in this pattern and after I made a muslin of my normal size I had to go down a size and then take a bit more in at places. Instead of using facings I used bias binding for the neckline. The only issues I had with the instructions were the pockets. There was a little unpicking, but now I know what it is meant to look like it makes much more sense and the next time I make it it will be a lot quicker and easier.
I know it is a big call, but I think these are the best pockets in a dress ever!
The fabric is Just My Type by Patty Young for Michael Miller which a bought from The Fat Quarter Shop.

I know it is Autumn here and getting cooler, but think I might be making some more for winter and wearing them with boots and long sleeved t-shirts underneath.

9 comments:

Annie said...

What a fabulous dress...you're not the only one who missed this pattern.

Abby and Stephanie said...

What a great dress. The shape is so flattering as well and I love the print. I want a maxi dress that I can sew and there are no zippers. Still looking...

Brenda said...

I love the dress and fabric. You look really nice in it.

Maria said...

Love that dress and the fabric is just perfect! It really suits you Kate :-)

kinkatink said...

Those really are the best pockets in a dress ever! What a shame it's out of print or I'd be making one straight away. Another great pattern / fabric combo. You're so clever!

Krista said...

That dress looks very nice :)

Tania said...

Love it! I had this pattern saved in Pinterest and how disappointing to learn it's no longer in print. The bodice details are very unique.

our shabby cottage said...

It looks great Kate, and I have looked for this pattern for ages too. Congrats for getting a copy of it!!!

Stitching At Stone Cottage said...

Woo hoo! Looks fabulous. You've inspired me to make one for winter. P.s thanks for the patterns.x