Sunday, October 27, 2013

Kids Clothes Week Days 5 and 6 - Shorts

One thing my children are really fussy about is shorts. I have tried  few different patterns and they have rarely been worn which is really annoying as they are really quick and easy to make and don't use much fabric.
I downloaded the Summer Sailor Shorts pattern last year and thought I would try it in red spots. I left off the cuff and all the extras. It doesn't look it in the photo, but it is quite wide at the bottom and the girls thought it was too much like a skirt, but it is a nice pattern that fits together quite well.
Last week I discovered the Kids Shorts by Dana Made It. I used some left over patchwork fabric. All the girls loved the fit of these and they took no time at all to make. There was no extra waistband piece which I love when making kids shorts.  There are so many ways to change these and turn them into racer shorts or add pockets and trims. I think this pattern is a winner and has a huge range of sizes - 12m - 10yrs.
 
 I also tried a shorts pattern from this Japanese Book. I used some red linen/cotton blend. They have a separate waistband piece and bands around the lower legs. I didn't expect anyone to want them, but Grace really liked them. I made her a black and white Banyan t-shirt to go with it which was a winner and think I'll be making quite a few more of these.
 



2 comments:

bec said...

I'm loving the Made shorts pattern too, cant stop making the Racer shorts! They won't fit Sib, but she's too fussy anyway, I got her some from the op shop, and I can sew shorts for those in need hehe

Samantha Dennison said...

Thanks for this info, Kate - I think the Dana Made It shorts might be a bit of a winner here!! x