Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Beanbags

After reading on how Claire of Craft Schmaft made some beanbags I decided we really needed to update ours. I was going to make them the same way, but after a quick google search I thought I would try the one from Stardust Shoes. Somehow I found myself in Spotlight without working out how much fabric I needed so I bought 2.5m of each of these and a lot of cheap cream poly/cotton.
The cotton drill in Spotlight was perfect for beanbags, they have lots of rolls of it in different patterns and colours at the moment.

I realised when I got home that I didn't have quite enough of each fabric. I also thought the small beanbag was too small and the big one was too big. So I cut my own pattern using as much of the fabric as I could. I managed to cut 4 segments out of 2.5m. I also cut 2 circles about 4.5-5" across to applique to the top and bottom just like the pattern. I couldn't find any velcro but I had a lot of long zips so I used them for the opening. I made the exact same shape bag for inside out of the poly/cotton (but I did not applique the circle on). Once the inside bag was full I sewed the opening closed with the machine which was a little tricky once the bag was full.
Here are the dimensions for a 1/4 of one of the pieces.
A stack of beanbags. The bottom two have a 100L bag of beans in them, I ran out of beans for the top one so it is just waiting for a little bit more.
 A perfect kid size beanbag.

9 comments:

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

Those are awesome! They look super comfy too!

flowerpress said...

Fabulous Kate, my favourite is the blue birds but they're all great.
Wondering when the mini fourth one is coming ;-)

nisabell said...

Yay! thanks for the inspiration. Next time I go to spotlight I am going to get some fabric.

Naturally Carol said...

They are wonderful...and just the right size! I adore the bird fabric especially.

Lisa said...

They are fabulous! Love the apple fabric.

bec said...

I need to do some secret sewing of a beanbag for the kid's b'day. We keep talking about buying a vinyl fancy one, and it ain't gonna happen! Better go find some purple drill.... Love the pics.

Anonymous said...

Love what you've been up to lately Kate. I'm a bit behind on my blogging. Hope all the girls & you are doing well. Hugs Fee

Annie said...

Perfect, and I love those fabrics. I've been admiring them in our spotty

Marina said...

Very clever and they look super comfy!